At the start of World War in 1939 the size and population of Ruskington was not appreciably different than 25 years earlier, at the start of World War 1. Then it was about 1,214 (563 males and 651 females, according to the 1911 Census), but after the War (1921 Census) had dropped to just 1,101 (522 males and 574 females), but recovered over the next 10 years to reach 1,246 by 1931.
With no Census in 1941 it is hard to say what the population was at the start of the 2nd World War. By the time of the next Census in 1951, however, the size of the village was 518 persons more than 1931, standing at 1,764.
Twelve men from the village of Ruskington, Lincolnshire, gave their lives in the Second World War. Their names do not appear on the War Memorial in Ruskington Cemetery but are shown on the Memorial Plaques in the Garden of Remembrance (left) and in the Children’s Chapel, All Saints Church, Ruskington.
In addition to the War Memorial Cross, Ruskington has four other Memorial sites and each has its own page in this site. Access these through the links on the MENU BAR above.
All of these bear the same names of the village fallen, e.g. The Zion Wesleyan Methodist Church Memorial (Now: The Ruskington Free Church, Chestnut Street) Memorial – right.